Eat Healthily Falafel burger
These healthy burgers are so deliciously and very wholesome. Perfect for those wanting a healthy meal and as there is no meat involved, they are ideal for vegetarians. We found this recipe at Joyous Health, Joy McCarthy is a holistic nutritionist based in Canada and we are great fans, having tried many of her recipes.
1 cup chopped red onion
1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp ground cumin and ground coriander each
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
2 (15 1⁄2-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
2 whole eggs (Can’t eat eggs? Combine 2 tbsp of ground flax or ground chia and 1/3 cup water. Let sit until it becomes egg-like, about 3-5 minutes.)
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
1⁄2 cup ground almonds aka “almond flour”
6 whole Portobello mushrooms
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup tahini (sesame-seed paste)
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1) Combine all the burger ingredients into a food processor (or mash with a potato masher) and process until smooth. Divide burger mixture into 6 patties. Let sit in fridge for 1 hour as it helps the burgers to solidify.
2) Cook on a greased fry pan on medium heat for 5 minutes each side or until outside is nicely golden.
3) To make tahini sauce, place ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
4) For the Portobello mushroom either grill or pan sear until warm.
5) To serve, place burger on top of the portobello and drizzle with sauce! Makes 6 burgers.
We serve this up with a side salad of little gem, avocado, cherry tomatoes and cucumber. Or a side of cabbage (sauteed in garlic and chilli) in the winter to warm us up. Delicious meal that will leave you satisfied.