Eat Your Way To Eliminating Ailments

Are you bugged by minor ailments, that although may not be detrimental to your health, are enough to cause annoyance? Do you ever ask yourself – why do I get like this? Your diet could be causing these minor ailments.

I changed my diet about 2 years ago, quite dramatically but not perfectly. I would say that I eat really well 80% of the time and treat myself the other 20%. The main changes I made was (for 80% of the time), I cut out bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. I can't even say that I cut out sweet things (which for me is mainly chocolate) because I will have a bit of chocolate every day with my one cup of tea. But as far as sugar goes, this is the only time I have it. By cutting out all the other things, I have well reduced my sugar intake. I make my own sauces and never buy ready made ones.

Along with cutting out the above, I ensure that I eat foods that are very nutritious. I eat fruit (but only in the morning as part of my smoothie), lots of vegetables (ensuring leafy greens play a big role), protein in the form of chicken/fish/nuts and good fats (olive oil, coconut oil, avocado...). And I drink 1.5 litres of water most days, I struggle to get down the recommended 2 litres.

Prior to this change in diet, every meal would include either pasta, rice or potatoes. I was genuinely surprised at how easy I found it to eliminate these, so long as I was still making the kind of dishes I previously enjoyed and making a few substitutes along the way.

I made this change simply because I wanted a healthy body. I didn't need to lose weight so I wasn't expecting to see much change in how I felt, other than clearer skin and no bloating or tiredness, which all happened. However, I got more than I bargained for! I have suffered with nasal congestion most of my life. I'm not talking sinus issues here, just extremely annoying sniffles and catarrh at the back of my throat. I had an operation at one point to trim back the lining of my nose because I could barely breath through my nose. Every morning in life (apologies for the graphic details) I had to wretch up catarrh from the back of my throat (on a bad day I would have to do this a couple of times) and every time I would go to talk I had to clear my throat. I resigned myself to the fact that this was my weakness. I don't remember how long it was after I made this change in my diet, quite a few months though, I started to notice that all my congestion had completely disappeared, the first time for as long as I can remember. This became even more apparent quite recently when I went on holiday and for one week before I went (due to excitement) and one week when I came back (due to easing myself back in gently), along with the 10 days away, I didn't eat or drink very well. My congestion started to come back!

The other most notable ailment that disappeared was the common cold which I would suffer from quite often, maybe 4 times a year. In the last 2 years I have had the cold once. On a couple of occasions, when I have been in the company of someone with a cold, I have shown signs of starting with it but my immune system kicked in and it didn't materialise. Coupled with the cold is cold sores, or those little cuts in the corner of your mouth, which I could get now and again but I haven't had one since I changed my diet 2 years ago.

There are many health problems that cannot be resolved by just a heathy diet but you would be amazed at the ones that can be, even irritable bowel syndrome! If you suffer from annoying minor ailments, try adjusting your diet (it does take time to be noticeable though) and see if it makes a difference. Little changes at a time is fine but if you only make little changes you won't see the difference. I have spent my life making little changes and wondering why I did't feel any different. You have to make big changes, even if you only do it step by step until you get there. I would never have believed in a million years that my long term congestion issues were in any way related to my diet. 

As I learned, the health benefits of eating well isn't a myth, it's a fact. You just have to figure it out yourself!