Detox Every Day!
Detoxing doesn't always have to be about a strict 5 day eating plan where you practically cut everything out of your diet that has a negative effect in order to allow your body to flush out all toxins and let it recover from being over worked. I'm not saying this isn't a good idea now and again, I believe it really is, especially after a period of over indulgence, but there are other ways to introduce good habits into your life and diet which will help to detox your body on a daily basis. It's just as important to detox a little every day and keep everything ticking along as efficiently as it should be.
The liver is the main organ in our body that is responsible for getting rid of toxins. We really should be quite kind to it and allow it to carry out its functions properly rather than make it over work and cause potential problems. Alcohol is the first thing that we all think about when it comes to poisoning our livers. A glass here and there won't do us any harm as a good functioning liver will be able to cope with it but when we over indulge, our liver has to work so hard to get everything back to normal again. Could this be why hangovers feel so awful?!
The modern diet is full of trans fats and other nasties like additives and artificial flavourings, things that you can't really call food! So our bodies are trying to process this foreign body and get rid of it. Why put our liver through it? We've only got ourselves to blame! And there there is modern life, which contributes to things like stress, pollution and lack of exercise. Stress puts our bodies into a state of coping which then compromises other functions and exercise is an important part of detoxification as it keeps everything circulating, so keep moving.
Start to introduce good habits into your diet and lifestyle, simple things that you can incorporate into your life that hopefully you will find easy to do. Some things may take more time and effort so may need a little more thinking and planning but small steps will get you there in the end. We have come up with some ideas to help you get started:
1) Water and lemon - when I first started becoming health conscience and wanted to make positive changes to my diet, this was the first thing I did. I increased my daily water intake and I started the day with a glass of water and a quarter of squeezed lemon (before breakfast). If you don't do anything else, do this. Water helps the body flush out toxins and will keep every single organ and function of your body working properly. Aim for 1.5 - 2 litres a day. You are increasing the detoxification process by adding lemon. Kick start your body every morning with a glass of water and lemon.
2) Turmeric - this plant food, which has become known as a detox superfood, has been getting a lot of hype lately and for good reason. It has great benefits of helping with liver detoxification, has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties and has many cancer prevention benefits. If you love a good curry, you will have no problems adding this spice to your diet but other ways to incorporate it into your diet is by enjoying a turmeric ginger tea, adding it to your green smoothie in the morning or taking a supplement (make sure it contains Bioperine for better absorption)
3) Plant based foods - increase the amount of plant based foods you eat. Cut out sugar by replacing white pasta, rice and bread with more fresh fruit and vegetables (particularly leafy greens). Plant based foods are excellent detoxifying foods.
4) Exercise - get some level of exercise every day, even if it is just a walk. Keep everything moving, your body needs some level of physical activity to keep your metabolism strong and your body functioning effectively. Yoga is a nice relaxing exercise with great results and will help you to breath deeply which is also great for detoxifying.
5) Dry body brushing - a fantastic habit to embrace, dry body brushing stimulates the flow of the lymph system. Your skin is the largest organ of the body and so many toxins are released through it. Improve the efficiency of this process by dry body brushing which will remove dead skin cells, stimulate circulation, soften the skin and make it glow. It's incredibly invigorating, especially first thing in the morning which is the best time to do it.
So, there is five ways to help you incorporate detox habits into your daily life. Be healthy and happy!