Summer Hangover Cures!
Holiday seasons throughout the year call for a few drinks of celebration but there's something about summer that makes us want to have a drink more regularly, especially if the weather is good. Take a Tuesday afternoon, for example, it would never enter your head to have a drink, in fact you'd be quite worried about your drinking habits if it did, however, on a warm summer Tuesday afternoon while sitting in your garden sunbathing, you don't think twice about having a bottle of beer. And no-one else in your company would think it odd, they'd probably join in!
Summer also calls for more evening walks to the local pub, barbecue get togethers, eating out and having a wind down drink in the evening. Which is all very sociable and taken in moderation. However, it is these occasions that sometimes catch us unawares and what was supposed to be a walk to the local for one or two turns into three or four because you meet up with like minded people, who are also out for one or two. Fine if we control the frequency of these events and even better if we are sensible and prepare ourselves with the hangover cure.
Rather than just pop a pill, there are many natural ways to cure a hangover and ways on the night to soften the blow the next day. Here's a few ways to prevent and cure a hangover:
1) We have all heard of the alcohol/water rotation method to help prevent a hangover and we all almost never do it. This is a sure way to a) prevent you drinking too much and b) prevent a hangover. So alternate one alcoholic drink with one glass of water. And remember, it's summer and warm weather means you should be drinking more water anyway. Sun and alcohol don't mix well so be sensible. If you don't drink enough water throughout the night, at least drink a pint of it before you go to sleep. It will help your body re-hydrate.
2) Avoid sugary mixers with your spirits and opt for something like soda water instead. Alcohol is high in sugar and so when we wake up the next day our blood sugar levels are so low that we want to reach for as many fizzy drinks and high carb foods we can get our hands on.
3) Take a vitamin C supplement before going out, before going to bed and the following morning. Alcohol depletes vitamin C in our bodies and so we need to restore these levels. Vitamin C is a great anti-oxidant and it will help detoxify the liver and the stress alcohol has caused our bodies.
4) In the likely event that you have not been able to prevent a hangover, start the next morning with a warm cup of water with ginger, lemon and honey. Ginger will help with the nausea, lemon with detoxify the liver and honey will rebalance sugar levels.
5) For breakfast, make a green smoothie which is packed full of liver friendly foods such as spinach/kale, berries, avocado, banana, ginger and lemon. This will go a long way to helping your body recover. Your body needs these foods!
Caveat: If you drink yourself stupid, the above probably won't help much!
Enjoy your summer parties and have a great-morning-after!