Beauty Tips: Nude Lips!
Nude lips, just like the 'no makeup' makeup look, is more difficult to pull off than it seems, certainly more difficult than it looks. We often have to put in more effort to create an au natural look, go figure?! Much like French women, we want to appear like we are effortlessly chic, when in actual fact, we spend a lot of time perfecting this look.
So when it comes to creating a nude lip, we aren't really going au natural with just a hint of lip balm. No, quite often we are taking the natural colour out of our lips, particularly in the case of rosy lips, and applying a nude colour. This can be as complex as applying a bold red (well, almost!).
So, here are a few tips on how to achieve a nude lip:
1) As with your base makeup, the key is in the preparation, so first ensure you prep your lips with an exfoliator, or take a warm wet flannel and gently scrub your lips, before applying a lip balm. I tend to do this after I have applied my base, so it removes any foundation residue on my lips and gives my lips enough time to absorb the moisture while I apply the rest of my makeup. By the time I come to do my lips, they are well hydrated. Nude lips tend to show up dryness more than a colour.
2) If you have a natural rosy tint to your lips, you may want to take this colour down by applying a little concealer.
3) Apply a nude lip liner to the outline of your lips in order to shape them and then fill in the rest of your lips with the liner. This will increase the longevity of your lipstick.
4) Choosing a nude lipstick colour is no easy task so if you have a preferred brand I suggest you go to the beauty counter and ask the assistant to try a few out on you. If you are heading to the high street (Rimmel Kate nudes are great, by the way!), as a rule of thumb, fairer skin tones should opt for peach or pink nude tones and darker skin tones should go for warm nudes like peachy beige.
5) Matt nudes can be very flattering but be careful if you are prone to dry lips, in which case you are better to stick to more creamy textures.
6) Apply a lipgloss to the centre of your lips for a high shine 3D finish.